To inspire and enable all young people to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. is the Movement’s Reason for Being
In every community, boys and girls are left to find their own recreation and companionship in the streets. An increasing number of children are at home with no adult care or supervision. Young people need to know that someone cares about them. Boys & Girls Clubs offer that and more. Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of belonging, usefulness, influence and competence. Boys & Girls Clubs are a safe place to learn and grow — all while having fun.
The Club is truly “The Positive Place For Kids.”
History of the Movement
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women in
Hartford, Conn. believing that the boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations.
In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.
To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization’s name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.
History of the Boys & Girls Club of the Grand Strand
The Boys & Girls Club of the Grand Strand can trace it’s beginnings to 1996 when a group of motivated and caring individuals came together for the good of their community. These caring and committed people formed a board of directors that took the lead in establishing the first Boys & Girls Club in Myrtle Beach, SC which was chartered as a member organization of Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1998.