POSITION TITLE: Part-Time Youth Counselor, Boys and Girls Club of the Grand Strand
REPORTS TO: Club Program Director
Plans, implements, supervises, and evaluates activities in assigned program areas such as Education, Special Education, Social Recreation, Technology, Arts & Crafts, and/or Physical Education with Club members.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
- Create an environment the facilitates the achievement of Youth Development Outcomes:
- Promote and stimulate program participation;
- Assist in the registration of new members and participate in their club orientation process;
- Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
Program Development and Implementation
- Effectively implement and administer programs, services, and activities for members and visitors;
- Monitor and evaluate programs, services, and activities to ensure safety of members, quality in programs, and appearance of the branch at all times. Complete weekly activity reports on the program’s success/improvements in the classroom.
- Complete required BGCA training modules as laid out in the Training Manual within the first 30 days of hire. All Certificates of Completion must be filed in Personnel File.
Supervision & Work Relationships
- Actively supervise Club members participating in activities and programs to ensure member discipline is maintained and member safety is ensured.
- Ensure a productive work environment by interacting in a positive and professional manner with your supervisor(s), co-workers, program volunteers, club members, parents, and the public.
- May be required to participate in special programs and/or events as needed.
- May be required to assist in the supervision of youth on field trips.
Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff (professional & volunteer), club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/instructions; instruct, and advise/counsel.
External: As directed by your supervisor maintain contact with external community groups, schools, member’s parents, and others to assist in resolving member guidance & discipline issues.
MINIMUM SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience working with school-aged children.
- Knowledge of youth development.
- Ability to motivate youth and proactively manage behavior problems.
- Ability to deal with the general public.
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth.
- Ability to organize and supervise youth to ensure a safe program environment.
- Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certification completed within first 90 days of employment.
- Valid Driver’s License & reliable personal transportation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry items up to 30 pounds. Some prolonged standing is required when supervising Club programs and activities.
Disclaimer: The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.